Let’s try to alleviate the fuzziness and get down to brass tacks.
Check out these 10 Social Media and SEO Myths debunked…
1. Search Engine Optimization is something where we get as much information from as many SEO vendors as possible and hand it off to our IT people to do SEO with that info
FALSE: Your IT guy/girl has email issues, security issues, server updates and social media malware on employees computers, i.e., the health of your Information Technology structure as responsibility, this is not their job.
2. Search Engine Optimization has been replaced by Social Media
FALSE: Search is what you use to find what you are looking for in all the social media content. Search will always be around, it will be more important in the future as more stuff is posted online. hello?
3. Social Media has nothing to do with our Brand
FALSE: Social Media IS your brand, online. Unless you are Nickelback, then someone else is your brand on Facebook.
4. Social Media has nothing to do with Customer Service
FALSE: Social Media IS Customer Service. Wait.. your social media doesn’t have a reporting system to customer service? Ut oh.
5. PR Firms should control ORM and Social Media
DEPENDS: I worked at a PR firm for 6 years, so I know at least one has been for a while, but also know one that doesn’t. ORM utilizes PR, SEO, Social Media and #Mocial, [Mobile Social Networking]. ORM does work without search, social and PR but you also need content, and heavy integration with client’s customer service departments. Oh, It never ends, it’s a consistent battle, daily.